Now Reading
Working Holiday Visa: Doing a Gap Year Before your 30’s

Working Holiday Visa: Doing a Gap Year Before your 30’s

Have you ever heard about the Working Holiday Visa? If you haven’t, from now on will be the only thing you can think about. This Visa is the main reason behind all the gap years taken. But… what is it? Well, a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) is a visa that allows you to work and travel in a foreign country. And, trust me, there’s no better way of getting to know a country than doing both.

Since European people are allowed to work and travel freely all around Europe, sometimes we forget the value of having the right to do it. But, what about the people from other continents? What happens when we are the ones that want to go to another continent? Well, here is where lies the true essence of the WHV. Not all the countries have a WHV available and all the requirements are different depending on which WHV do you want to get.

Photo by Priscilla du Preez on Unsplash

Some of the countries where you can get a WHV:

European countries such as Germany, Andorra, Portugal, Spain, Denmark, France, Austria, Ireland, Hungary, Norway, Poland, Sweden and The Netherlands. As a European, travelling and working in these countries is not a problem and you won’t need a WHV visa. Being a European makes it easier to travel and work in other European countries. 

Countries from different continents with Working Holiday Visa are New Zealand, Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea and Mexico.

Related Post: 10 Lessons I Learned From Travelling Asia

Photo by Kalisa Veer on Unsplash

Some (general) facts that you should know about the HWV

1. They allow you to work and travel up to 12 months.

2. While your visa is valid, you can enter and exit the country as many times as you want. 

3. It depends on the country but generally, the people who can apply must be between 18 and 30-35 years.

4. Some of the countries (under a few requirements) will allow you to extend your visa for a couple of months (NZ) or even for a year (Australia).

5. You can only apply for it once in your life for each country. If you reject it, you won’t be able to apply again in the future.

See Also

6. Each county has limited quotas for WHV every year. For example, there are only 200 visas for NZ for Spanish people. 

7. You can only apply under the nationality of your passport. It doesn’t matter if you are a Portuguese living in Italy, the only thing that matters is your passport.


Photo by Anja on Unsplash

The Working Holiday Visa agreements are completely different for each country. What does it mean? For example, Spanish people are only allowed to get a for New Zealand, Australia, Japan and Canada; and will be able to apply for South Korea very soon. WHV change depending o your country of origin. For example, while Spanish people living in NZ can only work for up to 6 months, Mexicans, Germans and Italians can work up to 12 months.

Have you thought about doing a gap year and taking a WHV? Let us know in the comments and remember: if you need a place to stay abroad search on Uniplaces for the best deals!

Scroll To Top