Thousands of international students go to study in London every year. In 2011, according to UKCISA, over 100,000 students were studying in London alone. That’s over a quarter of all international students in the UK. And a lot of them need a Study Visa to study here. Do you?
The most ridiculously easy way to find out if you need a visa is by using this website that Her Majesty’s Government put up. Major high-five to the FCO for coming up with this. Basically, you choose your country of origin (the country you have nationality and a passport from) and click next step. Then you choose STUDY as the reason why you’re going to the UK and you are asked if it’s for a period longer or shorter than 6 months. If you’re an Erasmus student, you’ll probably be there for a little under 6 months. If you’re studying in London for your whole degree, you’ll choose longer than 6 months. (It doesn’t matter if you’re going home for Christmas, or easter, or Summer: they want to know how long you’ll plan to be in London studying for). At the end of that, the results page will tell you whether you need a visa and what kind of Visa you’ll need! It even gives you a link so you can follow that by applying to the Visa.
If you don’t want to use the website, here are the basic ground rules:
Want to study in London? Easy list to find out if you need a Study Visa to study here:
- If your nationality is of one of the EU states you do not need a Study Visa to study in London, or anywhere in the UK.
- If your nationality is of one of the European Economic Area you do not need a Study Visa to study in London, or anywhere in the UK.
- Students from many countries don’t need a Study Visa to study in London (or anywhere in the UK) for less than 6 months. Check out the Non-Visa Nationals in this Wikipedia page. Remember: without a VISA, you can’t work or get married during these six months.
- Students from Oman, Qatar and UAE can get a Visa waiver online. This works as a single-visit visa (meaning it expires the moment you leave the UK) and only lasts 6 months.
- You have to apply online for a Study Visa to study in London online if you belong to 195 countries.
- North Korean nationals have to apply in person at the British Embassy in Pyongyang.
Are you confused by the amount of different Visas that there are? This might help:
Breakdown of the Study Visas for international students in the UK
- Student Visitor Visa: for students studying in London / UK for up to 6 months. It costs £83 to apply for this study visa.
- Extended Student Visitor Visa: for students studying English for up to 11 months. It costs £150 to apply for this extended student visa.
- Tier 4 (General) Student Visa: for everybody else who needs a Study Visa to study in London. It’s mostly used by students who want to study in the UK for a whole year or their entire degree. It costs £310 to apply to this Student Visa.
Thanks for reading this post! We hope to see you soon, coming back for more. Did you enjoy our article about doing study Visa to study in London? Are you going to apply for a study visa? Drop us a line in the comment section below if you do.
And remember! If you need to find student accommodation in London – or you know someone that does – you’ll find the student home you’re looking for on Uniplaces.com.